Loneliness is curable. Here are some easy steps to help get you engaged:
- Reconnect with family and friends. Let go of any resentments or regrets you have. Reach out to people you haven’t spoken with in a long time and do whatever it takes to rekindle the relationship. Spend time with them and communicate using whatever methods work.
- Surround yourself with upbeat people. Choose your friends carefully. Happiness is just as contagious as loneliness.
- Keep learning. Challenge yourself to try something new. Continuing your education and being involved in whatever interests you gives you opportunities to connect with new people. Join book clubs, go to lectures, take courses, go on an educational vacation. Have fun.
- Volunteer in your community. This allows you to meet new people who share your interest while you contribute to a cause you believe in.
- Exercise. Join a local gym or fitness club. Take a community class or participate in local dance nights. You can get fit, learn new skills and make friends at the same time.
- Reach out. If you sense someone you know is lonely, don’t shy away from them. Share your happiness and some time with them. Your contact may make all the difference to them.